Pros and Cons of Patient Portals
By Admin | December 06, 2017
Patient portals provide an easy way for patients to see their lab results, prescription information, doctor’s notes, and more, from the convenience of home--and without having to call and wait.
But patient portals aren’t perfect. Yes, they make it easy for patients and doctors to communicate, putting important information in an easy-to-access place, but are they secure?
The Week outlines the plusses and minuses of using online patient portals.
- Easy, 24-hour access to patient information
- Making patients part of the healthcare system, empowering them to be more involved
- Time saving, both for patients and staff
- Lack of use. Baby boomers in particular aren’t keen on using portals for their medical info.
- Security concerns. Healthcare is the top target for hackers.
- Privacy, including instances where minors have legal privacy from their guardians. How can a portal ensure the minor’s privacy?